Daniel Defense vs Noveske Barrels
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Daniel Defense vs Noveske Barrels

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts

    Daniel Defense vs Noveske Barrels

    I'm looking at options for a 14.5'' or 16'' 5.56 build, and it'll probably be either a DD or Noveske barrel. The DD receivers are very scarce actually, but the Noveske receivers are available. My only thing on the choice of barrels is that Noveske is about twice the price as DD. I know both are solid platforms, but I'm not sure why exactly their barrel prices diverge so much. Anything to consider on this decision?

    Cheers
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the trailer trash
    Posts
    5,457
    Thanks
    5,507
    Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,912 Posts
    no idea, but interested in finding out. I have a buddy with a DD upper and he loves it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis, USMC

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    I kind of wonder if DD doesn't keep their receivers scarce to get you to buy a complete upper or rifle. Much like Spikes seems to do with their billets.

    I've heard nothing but excellence out of DD. Hammer forged too, can't really go wrong there...
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    East Central IL
    Posts
    309
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Not sure of the difference but I have a 16" Noveske and have been very pleased with it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vincennes, IN
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Noveske uses Pac Nor barrel blanks to make their barrels. I have looked at some of their barrels with a bore scope and was not impressed. I am sure they would shoot fine, but I would definitely not pay a premium for them. I would go with a Daniel Defense.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maniac2 For This Useful Post:

    CampingJosh (September 22nd, 2011), Tango (September 22nd, 2011)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    out in the country
    Posts
    6,115
    Thanks
    2,272
    Thanked 3,654 Times in 1,967 Posts
    i have had the best luck with noveske barrels. they are extremely accurate barrels. dd barrels are nice barrels also but i prefer the noveske's
    custom kydex solutions. if you need a holster, sheath, or any other kydex work, pm and we can make it happen. some pics of our work below http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to grunt soldier For This Useful Post:

    Tango (September 22nd, 2011)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southside Indy
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    2,311
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac2 View Post
    Noveske uses Pac Nor barrel blanks to make their barrels. I have looked at some of their barrels with a bore scope and was not impressed. I am sure they would shoot fine, but I would definitely not pay a premium for them. I would go with a Daniel Defense.





    Do your homework Tango and you will find that the Noveske barrels are a top rated barrel for alot of reasons. Are you talking their stainless or chrome lined barrels? What purpose are you wanting the barrel for? Anyway, DD has had problems in the past with their barrels but have also been great about correcting them. Oh well, buy what you want, if you wanna save a few bucks go DD.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loony1 For This Useful Post:

    Corporal D (September 22nd, 2011), Tango (September 22nd, 2011)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by loony1 View Post

    Do your homework Tango and you will find that the Noveske barrels are a top rated barrel for alot of reasons. Are you talking their stainless or chrome lined barrels? What purpose are you wanting the barrel for? Anyway, DD has had problems in the past with their barrels but have also been great about correcting them. Anyway buy what you want, if you wanna save a few bucks go DD.
    I would probably go SS with Noveske. They are match grade, but for most practical applications, wasn't sure how much that would really contribute. I'd like to do a 14.5'', but I'd have to have it pinned before the move. I want to put an AAC flash hider on it for suppressor use (not in CA) although I'm not sure how many people around here would be reliable enough to pin the threaded hider...maybe it's not that big a deal. Not really a fan of pinning it though, so I might go 16'' or for another 18'' SPR build and designate it as my 77 gr rifle. Put a KA rail on it and make it semi-legit. Yes, yes, this is sounding good.
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southside Indy
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    2,311
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I would probably go SS with Noveske. They are match grade, but for most practical applications, wasn't sure how much that would really contribute. I'd like to do a 14.5'', but I'd have to have it pinned before the move. I want to put an AAC flash hider on it for suppressor use (not in CA) although I'm not sure how many people around here would be reliable enough to pin the threaded hider...maybe it's not that big a deal. Not really a fan of pinning it though, so I might go 16'' or for another 18'' SPR build and designate it as my 77 gr rifle. Put a KA rail on it and make it semi-legit. Yes, yes, this is sounding good.

    This is the barrel you want, I sold mine to get a LaRue stealth upper.
    http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=

    ETA: I bought that barrel in 09 and there were 25 on the site when I got on to purchase it. After I finished checking out, (approx. 5 mins) they were all sold out. Bet your ass the gun companies love our current president......

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to loony1 For This Useful Post:

    Tango (September 22nd, 2011)

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    Funny, this page was open on my browser!

    Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Noveske | Noveske SPR 5.56mm Barrel w/Gas Tube 18.5




    What length Stealth you got? I'm still going to order one of those, but I'm sitting that 6.5 up on my LaRue receiver for the time being...
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southside Indy
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    2,311
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 782 Posts
    16 inch because LaRue use to advertise that their 16-20 barrels shot the same moa......

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    Been leaning that direction myself. I just wish I had 3 grand to buy a 7.62 OBR, my dream rifle. It's always good to set goals in life I suppose, one day!
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southside Indy
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    2,311
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Been leaning that direction myself. I just wish I had 3 grand to buy a 7.62 OBR, my dream rifle. It's always good to set goals in life I suppose, one day!

    Yeah but thanks to Top Shot we will be waiting a loooong time for one. Plus, I was turned off on it when guys were saying that you had to shoot match grade ammo and not surplus through one
    Another funny was when my buddy Tony watched a guy's OBR upper receiver blow out due to a bad round Oh well, stilll a cool rifle I guess.........
    On another note the said Tony is getting his PredatAR in tomorrow after waiting 4 1/2 months for it

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    $#@!, that's a wait! I think those PredatARs have a much nicer cheek weld than the OBR if I'm not mistaken.

    Alright, I think I have everything sans the KA rail for this one in the cart. Noveske it's going to be this time. DD, I will own one of you eventually.
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SW of Beford on a whole lot of land
    Posts
    6,300
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Been leaning that direction myself. I just wish I had 3 grand to buy a 7.62 OBR, my dream rifle. It's always good to set goals in life I suppose, one day!
    I've not yet seen anything on the OBR to make it worth the $3k other than the Larue name. Mark makes good kit, don't get me wrong, but I'd not really be inclined to go much more than $2k for one simply based on construction and features. If someone can tell me why that extra $k is worth it I'm happy to listen, I fully acknowledge I could be missing something.
    IWTFM. The price of chickens is eternal vigilance. "Hey, quit quoting me."- IndyMonkey
    "Way to go, copper. Bring a gun to a bomb fight."

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by shibumiseeker View Post
    I've not yet seen anything on the OBR to make it worth the $3k other than the Larue name. Mark makes good kit, don't get me wrong, but I'd not really be inclined to go much more than $2k for one simply based on construction and features. If someone can tell me why that extra $k is worth it I'm happy to listen, I fully acknowledge I could be missing something.
    If it were 2k, I'd own one already! I've been trying to price out a 7.62 build, and Noveske is really the best I've come up with so far. Other than RRA, which is the only decent priced CA legal one I've seen. I think LMT would be nice just bc they accept PMAG as well, but the SCAR does NOT to my knowledge and it's hard to find magazines for it. That extra grand though on the LaRue is probably the difference between him selling a bunch and a $#@! ton...
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southside Indy
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    2,311
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    If it were 2k, I'd own one already! I've been trying to price out a 7.62 build, and Noveske is really the best I've come up with so far. Other than RRA, which is the only decent priced CA legal one I've seen. I think LMT would be nice just bc they accept PMAG as well, but the SCAR does NOT to my knowledge and it's hard to find magazines for it. That extra grand though on the LaRue is probably the difference between him selling a bunch and a $#@! ton...
    plus he has to price himself on par with his competition on that platform, which are LMT, Les Baer and Noveske.

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southside Indy
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    2,311
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    $#@!, that's a wait! I think those PredatARs have a much nicer cheek weld than the OBR if I'm not mistaken.
    I think it's just a magpul ctr stock so not much of a cheek weld, however it might have the LaRue riser on it.

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SW of Beford on a whole lot of land
    Posts
    6,300
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    If it were 2k, I'd own one already! I've been trying to price out a 7.62 build, and Noveske is really the best I've come up with so far. Other than RRA, which is the only decent priced CA legal one I've seen. I think LMT would be nice just bc they accept PMAG as well, but the SCAR does NOT to my knowledge and it's hard to find magazines for it. That extra grand though on the LaRue is probably the difference between him selling a bunch and a $#@! ton...
    That last line I think gets to the heart of it. If I've learned anything being a small manufacturer it's that I'd rather go on reputation and sell fewer with a higher profit margin based on that reputation, than to kill myself trying for sheer volume. And it's not like it won't hold resale value, and if anything does go wrong you know Mark will stand behind his product. Like I said, I wasn't knocking it, I just can't justify the extra expense for what I can't see as clear gain either in reliability or service life. I'm not big on paying extra for a name, even for one as good as Larue.
    IWTFM. The price of chickens is eternal vigilance. "Hey, quit quoting me."- IndyMonkey
    "Way to go, copper. Bring a gun to a bomb fight."

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NWI
    Posts
    9,331
    Thanks
    6,170
    Thanked 4,193 Times in 2,476 Posts
    Thanks guys.....now I want this......http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=.......
    Quality Fixed Blades and Folders
    WWW.BLADECOUSA.COM
    Like Us on Facebook www.facebook.com/bladecousa



  25. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of those Gen 2 Noveske lowers though. I could have bought one for my Bushmaster but went with the old school Gen 1. The flared mag wells are pimp but their trigger guard doesn't look very 'enhanced'. I'd still shoot the $#@! out of that 10.5'' though! If you look up Stickman's flickr he's got a bunch of Noveske porn on there.
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  26. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    Oh, btw...my Noveske parts order shipped today.

    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:

    Corporal D (September 23rd, 2011)

  28. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    It's obvisouly been discussed to death, but I'd go with a Noveske for a few reasons. 1) stainless, will be more accurate than a chrome lined. 2) Stainless will be easier on the cleaning, I hate cleaning. I was thinking of a DD S2W 18" fluted, but when I found out was chrome lined I ditched that idea for the Noveske.

    Both are 1:7 so that's good. I prefer the 1:7, alot of 3 gunners prefer the 1:8. Dread on the 1:9.

  29. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,249
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Thread Starter
    I generally thought the comparison between CHF and SS was that CHF can be ran to death without harming the bbl whereas the SS was more of the precision bbl....
    ‚——’ฏฏ‘;====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏƒนถ

Similar Threads

  1. WTB - Daniel Defense LPK
    By Corporal D in forum [WTB] WANTING TO BUY
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 13th, 2013, 16:19
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 30th, 2013, 20:20
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 13th, 2012, 20:30
  4. WTB: Daniel Defense Lower
    By Tango in forum [WTB] WANTING TO BUY
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 30th, 2012, 12:28

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •